The days of our years are threescore years and ten; …for it is soon cut off, and we fly away. (Psa 90:10)
The Bible verse above tells us that in general, the years of our life, are three score and ten. That means an average life expectancy should be about 70 years.
A Christian man at age 60, put 520 marbles in a clear glass jar. Each marble represented a week he had left of an expected 70 year life span.
He put the jar on a shelf in the garage where he would see it every day on his way to his car. Each Saturday, he would take one marble out of the jar and through it away.
At first it made little difference, but soon it was obvious he seemed to be “loosing his marbles” faster all the time.
Finally the day came that he threw out his last marble. From that time on he realized he was truly living on “borrowed time”.
The next Saturday, he began to put a marble INTO the jar each week. As he would watch the number of marbles in the jar grow, he would rejoice and thank the Lord for the gift of another week of life!
We are “losing your marbles” at an alarming rate and we need to make the best use of time.
Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. (Eph 5:16)
Plan your day
- Remember the adage, “What does not get scheduled and budgeted does not get done”.
- Determine who plans your day. Let the Holy Spirit and not the devil or the flesh determine your direction or desires for the day.
Prioritize your day – put the big rocks in first
- Most of us are familiar with the illustration for needing to put the big rocks into a container before the smaller ones to ensure there will be room for the most important (big) things in life.
- Put in the big rocks every day! Put in the big rock of prayer. Put in the big rock of Bible study. Put in the big rock of church, if there is a service that day or some ministry in which you ought to serve. Schedule time for family.
Profit in your day
- Invest in the life of someone else
- Invest in the eternal (lay up treasures in heaven)
- Invest in souls – witness to all you can that God brings across your path.
Praise your Day
This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. (Psa 118:24)
- Add a song for the day
- Add a smile throughout the day
- Add a shout of joy and victory in the day
Remember, only God knows how many marbles are really in our jar. Let us carefully redeem the time!
Visit us on-line at Lighthouse Baptist Church of the East Bay